Monitoring the web for industry buzz should be an important part of the marketing activity for your medical device company. Listening to your online audience, competitors, and thought leaders is critically important for developing and maintaining a competitive advantage in the marketplace. This task has become a lot easier with the creation of content monitoring tools like Google Alerts. In fact, Google Alerts is one of the best content monitoring tools out there. It’s both free and easy to use. Google Alerts will send you email updates on all the latest Google results for news, blogs, video, and social media discussions related to the medical device industry, based on your choice of query or topic.
Below is a basic step-by-step tutorial on how to set up Google Alerts for the medical device industry. The same basic method can also be applied for the pharmaceutical industry, biotech industry, etc.
- Create a free Google account (if you don’t already have one).
- Log in to your Google account and go to Google Alerts http://www.google.com/alerts
- You can create many different alerts according to the keyword(s) that interest you. Create a new alert by
first entering your search term into the search box. For example, enter medical device, then select preview results to get a sense of what that search term will produce.
- Next select the “Type” of results you want to monitor: everything, news, blogs, video, discussions.
- Then select “Frequency” of the results you will receive: as it happens, once a day, once a week.
- Next select “Volume”: do you want to see “All results” or “Only the best results” based on your query criteria.
- Then select “Delivery Method”: Do you want to receive your alerts by email alerts or RSS feed?
- Finally, select “Create Alert” and you will see your new alert listed. You will also see an option to create another alert. Create as many alerts as you need to capture all of the terms that are important for you to monitor.